Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Jack's On Halsted


“Please won’t you be…my neighbor?”

In a creepy way, that’s the song that kept running through my head as I eagerly pulled my chair up to the bar last week. Honestly, how could Freddie’s immortal song not be running on repeat, if you consider the insanely close proximity the Fiend lives to the quaint Lakeview gastropub.

Having visited Jack’s a few times in the past, I couldn’t help my enthusiasm when I learned the bar’s renovation during the winter would also include a slight menu revamp…with (GASP) a full line of burgers!

And while the swanky atmosphere typically would immediately conjure images of high-end beef choices, such as Niman or Kobe, this bistro offers no-frills selections with an emphasis on unique options for toppings, a la the Kuma’s Corner of the world.


The Fiend opted for the Jack’s Burger, a hefty 9oz patty topped with barbeque pulled pork, sharp cheddar and shredded jalapeno. Ordered rare as per usual, the meat was cooked as desired inside while also keeping a well-seasoned crust on the exterior.

Two other burgers also caught my eye for further exploration: the Spicy Hot, which is brushed with a touch of Chipotle and features roasted Poblano peppers, pepper jack and bacon, as well as the Halsted Street Burger, topped with Maytag blue cheese and apple smoked bacon.

And though I did not have a chance to talk to the chef about the source and grade of the beef, the Fiend could definitely detect the quality in both the taste and texture.

This could get dangerous, as I fear rainy days and Mondays will definitely get me down…the street.

So the answer is, yes. Yes, I am proud to be your neighbor, Jack’s. And I promise not to be a crazy Marcy D’Arcy along the way either.


Jack’s On Halsted
(773) 244-9191
3201 North Halsted Street
Chicago, IL 60657-3413
www.jacksonhalsted.com

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Mr Burger. I've had an impossible CRAVING for grilled ground beef this week. Hoping to head out somewhere in my neighborhood one night this week to get one and take advantage of the nice weather. Any recommendations in the Bucktown/Wicker Park/ West Town hoods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Burger Fiend,

    My name is Richie Cunningham. I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog. I’m a bit of a burger fiend myself and frequent local Chicago spots - that specialize in great burgers - as often as I can. Sure, it’s not a hobby my wife approves of (because I’m just shy of 400 lbs) but that’s a story for another day. I have what doctors like to call “a bit of a weight problem.”

    Anyways, I thought I’d pass along a recommendation of my own. It’s a quaint place, nestled quietly in the Chicago loop. They offer up great burger specials on Thursdays. The proprietor’s name is Al, and believe when I say this, he’s a helluva guy – charismatic and jovial to say the least. He cooks his burgers a unique way, too. He puts them in a gigantic pot and literally boils the living crap out of them. Expect your burger to be soggy and rare – just how we like it. As for toppings, they’re endless: special (homemade) hot sauce, hot peppers, havarti cheese with jalapenos…the list goes on and on. But please do check it out! The place is called BOCKWINKELS on Stetson. Only $1.99! Can you believe it?

    Stay cool,
    Richie “burger and fries” Cunningham

    ReplyDelete