Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Solaire: A Sophisticated Burger Buddy


Seldom will you find a better pairing than a burger and a beer, however if one is looking to add a little zest to their grilling adventures this season, a simple pop of the cork can easily raise your barbeque stock without limiting the desired taste.

Last Wednesday, the Burger Fiend was fortunate to attend a private dinner at the Hancock’s 96th floor Signature Room, hosted by the newest line of Robert Mondavi wines: Solaire.

While burgers weren’t on the menu this evening, a very fine three-course meal was served. My selections included: an oddly light and refreshing garlic soup with black-eyed peas, a superb 8oz. (might have been 10oz.) center-cut tenderloin filet, grilled to a medium-rare perfection, and a divine double-chocolate mousse cake. The steak was honestly one of the better tasting tenderloins I’ve had in quite awhile. Don’t get me started.

The real highlight of the evening was the wine pairings that went with each course. At the initial reception, a 2007 Santa Lucia Highlands chardonnay was served, and I was somewhat skeptical at first because I am not normally congruent with white wines.

I have to admit this particular chardonnay was extremely smooth, but not too sharp as one would typically find with a chardonnay. It had a very pleasant medium, round and plush taste, enough that I would recommend this to anyone who similarly does not enjoy whites.

As a huge cabernet fan however, I especially enjoyed the 2006 (and I believe there was a 2007 during desert) of the Central Coast cabernet sauvignon that was served. This is an elegant full-bodied cab sauv that I’m told will further improve with a careful cellaring of another eight to ten years.

A smile forms with this thought.

As a bonus, the Burger Boy got a little one-on-one time with the Solaire winemaster, Rick Boyer, who was on hand to detail the intricacies of growing grapes in its California region and how the unique weather conditions in the area are instrumental in the development of the flavors.

With the summer and grilling season ostensibly right around the corner (ohhh, thy beloved Chicago), Rick suggested pairing a zinfandel, grenache or syrah alongside a wonderful homemade gourmet burger. The syrah in particular would offer a medium taste with a lot of middle fatness on the palate with notes of vanilla, thus complementing the richness of the burger.

Once the weather breaks, I plan to take Rick’s suggestion and pick up a bottle or two, as well as to post some pics of my favorite custom burger creation and some recipes. I’ll let you know how the pairing goes.

Cheers to you and your wisdom, Rick.

1 comment:

  1. The thought of a grilled burger and wine pairing has my imagination doing back-flips, and I only just finished breakfast!

    ReplyDelete