Friday, March 27, 2009

Hub 51


If you dig those new hot spot downtown restaurants, full of the after work business set of salesman/lawyers/button-down-hit-the-knuckles-then-blow-it-up bros bulging to grab your girlfriend’s tush when you head to the bathroom...then Hub is your place. This is not your humble author’s scene, however the food is so damn good that I’m more than willing to brave the elements each and every time.

When I find something I like at a restaurant, I typically stick to those guns and consistently order the same thing. In this case it’s the tasty spicy tuna roll (top 5 in Chicago, en mi opinion) or the wonderful filet tacos, but more impressive than the taste of these few items is the variety of the menu, from Asian to Mexican to straight up down Americana.

On this occasion, I had the raptor’s eye focused on expanding my search for the greatest burg’ and went with my bread and butter – the first-rate cheeseburger with hand-cut Hub fries.

The verdict: solid, but not breathtaking. The burger was cooked perfectly in the center and had a good taste, and the Tillamook cheddar was a wonderful complement to the meat. And like the foundation to any building, the lightly toasted sesame bun provided that necessary structure that was perfect parts beef to bread (the worst is having too much of one or the other, as we all know).

Not so much my gig, but I have to throw it out there. I’m a fry fiend as much as a burger fiend, and we all know fries and burgers go hand and hand as much as a diva and her little black dress, but unfortunately this is probably where the dish fell short. The fries were thin and fragmented, and the seasoning was mostly uninspiring.

Nonetheless, while I would absolutely recommend ordering the burger for your main dish, I would also suggest you come hungry enough so you can share one of those wonderful sushi rolls beforehand as well.





Hub 51
51 W Hubbard St
Chicago, IL 60654
(312) 828-0051

http://www.hub51chicago.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment